President Ram Nath Kovind has conveyed his displeasure to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) over the controversy regarding this year’s National Film Awards. Over 60 awardees boycotted the National Awards. Awardees complained and objected that they were told earlier that would be honored by the President, but that did not happen.
According to reports, the Rashtrapati Bhavan felt that it was not necessary to drag the office of the President into a controversy over the National Awards that happened due to the mismanagement on the part of the ministry of information and broadcasting (MIB).
On Thursday, only 11 awardees were honored by President Ramnath Kovind. The other artists were honored by Information and Broadcasting Minister Smriti Irani and her colleague Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore.
The 65th National Awards ceremony held in Delhi last Thursday witnessed a boycott by 55 award winners and President Ram Nath Kovind and the Rashtrapati Bhavan have conveyed his disappointment to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) over the controversy.
one of the reason the National Film Awards are prestigious is because they are handed by the @rashtrapatibhvn -not a minister. This is a moment of a lifetime for Film makers ; please don’t deprive them of their merit / glory #NationalFilmAwards @smritiirani @Ra_THORe
— rahul dholakia (@rahuldholakia) May 3, 2018
According to the Indian Express report, the Rashtrapati Bhavan have conveyed his disappoinment to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), because President Secretariat was in touch with the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting from the March. It was already decided that the President will be available for an hour in the event, and would not award all the awardees.
When the controversy broke out on May 3, the President’s secretary Ashok Malik had said that Rashtrapati Bhavan had conveyed to all the ministries about the new protocol that President Kovind had set for all official functions.
“President attends all award functions and convocations for a maximum of one hour. This has been the protocol since he took office. It was conveyed to I&B Ministry several weeks ago and the Ministry knew this all along. Rashtrapati Bhavan is surprised by the 11th hour questions that have been raised,” Mr. Malik said on Thursday in a statement.