India News

Himanshu Roy Shot Himself With His Licensed Revolver, Suffering From Cancer

Former Maharashtra ATS chief Himanshu Roy committed suicide. He was known as a strict officer. Roy was suffering from bone marrow cancer for the last two years and had slipped into depression. On Friday, he shot himself from his own licensed revolver.  The Mumbai Police issued a statement and told that the officer who was battling cancer, had been depressed and killed himself out of frustration over his health. Along with the cases related to terror activities he investigated Indian Premier League spot-fixing, J Dey murder case and Dawood’s property.

According to police sources, Himanshu Roy has shot himself with his licensed revolver at around 12:40 pm on Friday at his official residence in Malabar Hills.

“His family was preparing to have lunch. Roy was in the bedroom while his wife, Bhawana, was in another room when he shot himself,” said a police officer.

He was immediately taken to Bombay Hospital, where he was declared dead. As soon as this information was received, several officers of the Mumbai Police immediately reached the hospital.

Those who worked with him remembered a charismatic, dedicated and accessible officer.

According to police sources, after the transfer from ATS, Himanshu Roy did not take any new appointment. He had cancer and he was alive on steroids. The doctor found that cancer had affected his brain and suggested a surgery. This is why he was very frustrated and depression grew worse. Even after treatment, there was no improvement in his health.

Around three years ago, Roy found a growth on his left shin and had it surgically removed. A biopsy later determined that the lump was malignant and that cancer had spread to his bones.

“Mr Roy had been on medical leave for the last two years and the suicide note, in his own handwriting, makes it clear that he ended his life out of frustration due to this illness,” a police statement said.

“I always perceived Roy as a strong person who was fond of going to gym. He was suffering from a disease for two years and was fighting against it. Maybe he felt burdened and decided he could not take it anymore,” said special prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.

Gautam Bhansali, a doctor at Bombay Hospital, also said Himanshu Roy “looked much thinner compared to what he was before and he had even grown a beard”.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Our YouTube ChannelOur Facebook PageOur Twitter PageOur LinkedIn PageOur Instagram PageOur Whatsapp NumberYour Idea